Sunday, March 7, 2010

One week down . . .

Just wanted to update everyone with the fact that I still know nothing!!! I haven't heard from Bobby in 3 days and I still don't know his address. I was able to talk to him everyday while he was in reception, but once he went "down range" on Thursday he has been incommunicado. What is reception, you ask? What is down range, you ask?

The best analogy I can come up with (and I have given this a lot of thought) is like when a person has surgery. When you get to the hospital, first you go to pre-op. You fill out all the paperwork, get your blood taken, and learn about how the surgery will be done. Then they ship you off to the actual surgery, which is where you get cut open, your organs get all mushed around, and they stitch you back up.

So reception is pre-op, and "down range" (actual basic training) is surgery. At reception Bobby filled out his papers for tax records and insurance, got his immunizations, learned about formations, and became acclimated to being screamed at for 20 hours a day. But even the best pre-op doesn't completely prepare you for the surgical procedure. At basic training, Bobby will have his spirit ripped out, his organs and muscles all mushed around, and in the end his pride will be stitched up. Pretty dang good analogy, huh? I am quite proud of myself. :)

When I did talk to Bobby, he sounded good. He is staying positive, or at least he was! Please continue to keep him your prayers. Pray for strength, both physical and mental. It is so weird for me to not know what he is doing and not be able to communicate with him in some way. I have written him a letter every day, and hopefully I will be able to send them soon! I promise as soon as I know his address, you will know too.

Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Great analogy!! Stay strong and we will continue to pray for Bobby and you! *This too shall pass*!

    ReplyDelete